Monday, July 21, 2014

I can do hard things

One time on my mission, not the only time, things were hard. My mission president's wife knew and gave me a call to see how I was doing. I said, "Well, I'm learning a lot". She saw right through my shallow attempt to shrug it off and told me something that was once told to her during a hard time. She said "Sometimes it's just hard, and all you are learning is that you can do hard things". That phrase stuck with me for the rest of my mission, and then after until today.

I believe that difficult times makes for really interesting foundations of reflection.

But sometimes we ponder the wrong questions. We could waste days trying to figure out why Heavenly Father let us stumble into a certain trial. Questions like "What did I do to deserve this?" or "What is it he wants me to learn from this?" Could be more of a hindering distraction than a source of enlightenment.

Many know that that our trials are often the biggest opportunities for growth. Yet so often we avoid anything trying. Why is that? Do we not want to grow? Do we not want to be made strong?

I have had friends say to me "Don't pray for patience!! You will regret it!". While it is true such a request may lead to a difficult time, we know heavenly father will not give us a trial we cannot handle. Yet we have so much fear. We often imagine that he's just waiting to pile on the burdens. Our fears overpower our faith in ourselves to pull through and even overthrow our trust in him.

Instead of suggesting that you avoid praying for patience or other Christ-like attributes that may make mountains that obstruct, I would suggest that you pray for them with courage.

Thought provoking question:
What are you willing to do for a million dollars? There is no doubt that for such wealth we would stretch our comfort zones in a number of ways. One might swallow a sardin whole. One might face a fear of heights and bungee jump the empire state building. One might even allow bodily harm, such as a porcupine quill sting to the rear end.

Heck, some might even do more just for a klondike bar!

But what parts of your comfort zone are you willing to stretch to learn compassion? What would you do to learn dilligence?

To learn any given christ-like attribute you will need to sacrifice.

(1 Peter 1:7)
"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:"

The difficult things that we learn here on earth will always be of more value to us than gold or any other precious material thing.

And as we struggle, we are not left alone. Cast your burdens upon the Lord. Accept the challenge and trust in him.

(matthew 11:30)
"For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Heavenly Father loves us, and only he can see our true potential. Only he knows exactly what we need and won't hesitate to give it to us.

Going through an intense trial? Don't lose faith! Study this talk by Neil L. Anderson: Trial of Your Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment